100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Refusal recommended for stage three of housing estate ahead of council meeting

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Berms, seawalls and more considered for beach suburbs

Sunshine Coast Council is examining the potential for revetment walls, landscaped berms, seawalls and raised open spaces and roads for four coastal communities. Investigations are More

Restaurant workers allegedly underpaid

The Fair Work Ombudsman has started legal action alleging workers in a restaurant chain  in Sydney, Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast were underpaid almost More

‘Phenomenal’ property combines acreage and town living

An “immaculate” property nestled on a sprawling block close to town is being hailed as a “phenomenal one-off”. Offered for sale for the first time, More

Photo of the day: sunset silhouette

Angel Cooke, 11, took this photo of her brother, RJ, 5, on her father's iPhone 14 Pro Max as the sun was setting. If you More

B2B: How to avoid the ‘bank loyalty tax’

For most of us, it’s been a while since we reviewed our home loan. Our financial position, including our borrowing capacity, has likely changed. A More

‘Very proud’: whisky and steak bar owners announce closure

A restaurant known for its large selection of whisky and chargrilled meats and seafood will close its doors after nearly a decade. The vision of More

Plans for the next stage of a housing estate that would include more than 500 homes could be in trouble, with the proposed project being recommended for refusal.

The agenda for Thursday’s Sunshine Coast Council meeting includes a determination on the proposed third stage of the Parklakes development on 51 hectares of rural land at Bli Bli.

The application for the development, which was first submitted to the council in 2022, seeks preliminary approval for a material change of use to vary the Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme 2014 to allow for residential, shopping centre and retirement facility uses, and to vary the height of buildings and structures overlay from 8.5m to 12m.

A report prepared by a council officer ahead of Thursday’s meeting says the applicants, Focus Estates Pty Ltd and One Man Bli Bli Pty Ltd, have provided a range of matters to support the application, but that “significant reasons warrant refusal of the application”.

“The development is proposed in a flood and inundation area, and the development does not satisfy the criteria to allow urban development to occur in the flood and inundation area,” it says.

“The local flooding solution is reliant on offsite channel improvement works on private properties, which do not form part of the application and would result in offsite impacts.”

Do you have an opinion to share? Submit a Letter to the Editor at Sunshine Coast News via news@sunshinecoastnews.com.auYou must include your name and suburb.

The report says the applicants’ push for the proposal is based around the need for housing and housing diversity, a new local centre and how its planned lake would provide social benefits for those within and nearby the estate.

But it states that other matters remain unresolved “such as building height, open space, agricultural buffers etc”, but could be conditioned or amended should approval be contemplated.

“On balance, the development raises a number of inconsistencies with the Planning Scheme,” the report says.

“In this circumstance, the matters that may warrant approval are not as compelling as those against of the development.”

The report notes that the application was subject to public notification between May 15 and June 30 last year, attracting 253 ‘properly made’ submissions.

Of these, 142 submissions were in support of the proposal, 87 were opposed and six were neutral.

The applicants declined to comment until after Thursday’s meeting.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

Hidden
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share