100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Flash flooding wipes out hospital patient's possessions

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Shopping centre dining precinct transformation underway

Work is underway on a significant upgrade to the dining precinct at Kawana Shoppingworld, with new retailers, refurbished eateries and improved public spaces scheduled More

No bail for bikie accused over shooting and record bust

A bikie group vice-president alleged to be part of Australia's biggest cocaine seizure is also accused of organising a drive-by shooting via text chat More

Key council building for lease, residential use ruled out

A prominent Sunshine Coast commercial building is being made available for lease, offering businesses the chance to be part of the resurgence of Nambour. The More

Pokie push: council to review gaming machine policy

A local council has voted to explore a policy position that would strengthen its role in reducing gambling-related harm. Noosa councillors have supported a motion More

Private health firm jabs insurers not paying fair share

Australia's biggest private hospital operator has singled out health insurers for not paying their "fair share" for client services. Ramsay Health Care, which has a More

Jane Stephens: the case against ‘castle law’

A person’s home is their castle, worthy of protection. But how far should we be able to go to keep it and those who More

A Sunshine Coast retiree has lost his car and many of his belongings after floodwater engulfed his rented home while he was in hospital.

Gary Rose was undergoing treatment in Nambour General Hospital for infections when the Nambour house he shares with his brother, Rex, was hit by flash-flooding in the aftermath of ex-Tropical Cyclone Alfred on March 10.

“I didn’t know anything until I got a phone call from my brother saying he had some bad news,” Mr Rose said.

Rex had woken up about 3.30am that day to find water lapping at the step of the Nambour home. Within half an hour it had risen 30cm and was running into the house.

A swiftwater rescue team helped him out to dry land.

Mud marks on the side of the house show the floodwater was well above floor level.

Mr Rose, 69, said his brother had been lucky to get out.

“He said if I’d been there, I would have had difficulty getting out if someone hadn’t come to help,” he said.

Many of the brothers’ possessions have been destroyed, including carpet they had put down over the floorboards to keep the house warmer in winter.

“All our belongings: recliners, lounge, most of the furniture (are gone),” Mr Rose said.

“Our washing machine was on the back verandah so that got wet. The dryer was alright because it was up high enough.

“Anything that was up high was alright. The TVs are OK because they were up high, the fridge is still working.

“But there was all the little stuff: books, records, DVDs, puzzles.”

Parked in the backyard was Mr Rose’s faithful 18-year-old Toyota Yaris, which was not comprehensively insured.

It was swamped, as was Rex’s ute, although that was insured as it was of higher value.

Gary Rose lost many of his belongings during flooding while he was in hospital.

Mr Rose, who has a heart condition that limits his physical activity, had been in hospital since February 28 after a graze on his leg from a car park fall became infected.

That infection was compounded by another infection, followed by a staph infection while he was in hospital.

After being dosed with antibiotics intravenously, he has been deemed well enough to leave hospital and will be temporarily moving into a caravan park, like his brother.

He said the landlord would have to carry out repairs to the walls and electrical system at the house before they could return, but it could take some time to find available tradespeople.

Rex had dealt with the clean-up at home on his own, although his boss at Coastline Timbers has given him time off and use of a work ute, and his workmates have also helped out.

Mr Rose’s friends at Hinterland Cue Sports have started a GoFundMe campaign to help him get back on his feet, and the Caloundra Sharks Rugby League Club held a raffle for him.

Gary Rose has battled infection in hospital.

Hinterland Cue Sports president Lyndon Foster said the club tried to support its members.

He said Mr Rose would not ask for help but the club recognised that it would not be easy for him to replace his car and other belongings on the pension.

“Gary has been a great supporter of the club. It’s part of our culture. We want to look after our members,” he said.

A call-out by the club has brought forward offers of a queen bed, two recliners and a washing machine.

Mr Rose said he was very grateful for the goods offered and donations, and to those who had offered words of support.

“Not everyone’s in a position to help but it all means something,” he said.

Mr Rose is concerned about how he will be able to get around, particularly to doctor’s appointments, without a car and with limited funds, but is trying to focus on moving forward.

“My health is better. I’m positive. I’ve got a lot to be grateful for,” he said.

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
This field is hidden when viewing the form
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share